Kare-kare or oxtail stew
Kare-kare or Philippines stew is a very popular Filipino dish, oxtail or beef tripe cooked with peanut butter and season with shrimp paste is one of the best Filipino foods.
- Cut the oxtail 2 inches length then put it in a large pot , add enough water and simmer until tender, add more water if necessary.
- Prepare the achuete , soak in water for 30 minutes then press between you fingers until water turn red,then strain and set the red water aside.
- Drain the meat and set the broth aside.
- Saute garlic and onions and add the cooked oxtail, saute for 3 minutes then add 4 cups of broth, salt and the achuete water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add the peanut butter and toasted rice powder and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and eggplant and cook until tender but make sure not to overcook .
- Then transfer to a bowl and serve with bagoong alamang (a Filipino shrimp paste)and boiled rice.