- Yield: 5
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Ready In: 45m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 People rated this recipe
How to cook a delicious IGADO is very easy and simple just check the instructions below or follow us in YouTube and I’m sure you will love it. In this recipe I used tenderloin pork meat but feel free to use any boneless part of pig meat like shoulder join or pork belly or you can add pig innards like pig’s kidney and also in this recipe I used both garbanzos (chickpeas) and green peas but you can use either one of them.
IGADO is a popular Ilocano ( people who live in northern part of Philippines, Ilocos region) dish, it is made of strip cut pork meat and liver, sautéed in garlic and onion and simmer in vinegar and soy sauce, Igado is like an Adobo but with added bell pepper, carrots and garbanzo beans (chickpeas).
IGADO came from Spanish word HIGADO meaning liver, I think it is because of the amount of liver to be used.
- • ½ kg Pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch length strip
- • ½ kg Pork liver, cut into 2-inch length strip
- • OPTIONAL Pork innards (kidney) cut into strip
- • 2 tbs. Cooking Oil
- • 2 gloves Garlic, minced
- • 1 medium Onion, thin slice
- • 2 tbs. Fish sauce (optional) or 1 tsp of salt
- • 2 tbs. Soy sauce
- • 2 Bay leaves
- • 1/2 cup Vinegar
- • 1 medium Carrots, cut in strips
- • 1 red Bell pepper, seeded and cut into strip
- • 1 tsp. Pepper corn, cracked
- • 1 cup frozen green peas.
- Sauté garlic in hot oil until golden brown, Add the onions and cook until they become soft.
- Add pork tenderloin meat and cook until light brown
- Add soy sauce, fish sauce (alternative salt) and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar, liver and bay leaves and simmer covered on low heat for 15 minutes or until the meat become tender.
- Add water and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add carrots, garbanzos and bell pepper and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with boiled rice and enjoy.